Free tax return preparation for Veterans, military members and their families - VA News (2023)

Earlier this week, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) started accepting electronically filed tax returns as well as paper returns. The IRS reminds taxpayers that filing electronically is the most accurate and safest way to file a tax return, as well as the fastest way to get a refund.

The following links to free tax preparation services will ensure current and former members of the military and their families have access to free tax preparation and electronic filing services to keep more of their hard earned money.

  • IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs are available to taxpayers that earned less than $53,000 in 2014. Over 3.5 million tax returns were prepared using these services in 2014. All tax returns completed through these programs are prepared by IRS certified volunteers so you can feel confident your tax return is accurate. There are over 12,000 locations where you can utilize these services. To find the closest location near you, simply enter your zip code into the easy-to-use VITA/TCE Locator.
  • MyFreeTaxes, operating the only free online tax preparation and filing assistance platform available in all 50 states and Washington D.C., allows qualified Veterans, active-duty military, their families and all other qualifying taxpayers who earned $60,000 or less in 2014 to file both a federal and state tax return no matter where they live. In addition to e-filing, MyFreeTaxes also provides in-person help to individuals and families earning $60,000 or less in 2014. For more information, please visit: The MyFreeTaxes initiative is delivered in partnership by three nationally recognized nonprofits – Goodwill Industries International, National Disability Institute and United Way – and is sponsored by the Wal-Mart Foundation.

In addition to free tax preparation and assistance services like VITA, TCE and MyFreeTaxes, there are several other options qualifying Veterans and military families can utilize free of charge. However, please make note of additional eligibility requirements and be advised not all are available in your particular location. Check each for more information on eligibility and availability of services.

  • is the one place where taxpayers can choose from a variety of industry-leading tax software options in order to prepare and e-file their federal tax returns at absolutely no cost. If you earned $60,000 or less last year, you are eligible to choose from among 14 software products. If you earned more, you are still eligible for Free File Fillable Forms, the electronic version of IRS paper forms. More than 70 percent of all taxpayers – 100 million people– are eligible for the software products. Each of the 14 companies has its own special offers, generally based on age, income or state residency. Taxpayers can review each company offer or they can use a “Help Me” tool that will find the software for which they are eligible. Free File offers easy-to-use products that ask questions and you supply the answers. The software will find the right forms, find the right tax credits and deductions and even do the math for you.

Eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

  • TaxAct is another IRS Free File option. To qualify for free tax preparation, printing, & e-filing, your adjusted gross income must be $52,000 or less, and you must be between the ages of 18 through 58 years old.
  • H&R Block’s Free File offers free online assistance if you earned $58,000 or less, and if you were 53 years old or younger as of December 31, 2014.
  • Online Taxes (OLT) offers free tax preparation if your Adjusted Gross Income is between $13,000 and $60,000 in 2014.

The following free online software companies are available exclusively to members of the military:

  • TurboTax Military Edition created a software program specifically for service members. There is currently a free version for junior enlisted and a discount version for senior enlisted and officers.
  • Military OneSource is once again offering a no-cost, electronic tax filing service. If you are eligible under the Military OneSource program, you can complete, save, and file your 2014 federal and up to three state returns online at no cost.
  • TaxSlayer Military is available to all active duty military. You can prepare both your federal and state return for free with TaxSlayer Military Edition.

If you have already filed your taxes and want to know when you will receive your refund, don’t forget to download the IRS app, IRS2Go! This app is available in both English and Spanish and provides features to help taxpayers check on the status of their tax refund, obtain tax records, find free tax preparation providers and stay connected with the IRS through social media channels such as YouTube and Twitter.

iPhone and iTouch users can update or download the free IRS2Go application by visiting the iTunes App Store. Android users can visit Google Play to download the free IRS2Go app.

Please note that VA does not endorse any of these sites, but brings your attention to them as they have tax services available specifically for Veterans and military families.

Free tax return preparation for Veterans, military members and their families - VA News (1)

About the author: Richard Keeling is a Senior Tax Analyst at the Internal Revenue Service.

Appears in:

Guest Posts

Topics in this story

Customer Service

Share this story

Published on Jan. 22, 2015

Estimated reading time is 4.3 min.

Views to date: 3,229


  1. KPFebruary 10, 2015 at 11:04 am

    Thanks. We didn’t change any of our withholdings so it should have stayed the same. I was just hoping for answers before visiting a local tax office.

  2. RichardFebruary 10, 2015 at 10:12 am

    A $400 refund means you are having the correct amount of withholding deducted. You can always change your withholding by completing a W-4 and can request more monies taken out of your husband’s retirement pay. That means less money for you and your husband during the year.

    I’m not sure why your refund has changed from prior years however I would seek assistance by contacting someone before you file your taxes.

    • KPFebruary 10, 2015 at 11:03 am

      We didn’t change any withholding that’s the part that boggles us. We prefer to have less each check then get the refund. I was just hoping for answers before visiting a local tax office.

  3. KPFebruary 9, 2015 at 12:09 pm

    My husband retired in 2013 and has only had a part time job since his retirement. We took a huge cut in pay and had to get unemployment benefits for a short period of time. We paid almost 6000 in taxes and it says we are only due a refund of 400. Whenever I include his retirement pay into TurboTax or HRBlock the refund drops from 2600 down to 400. We have federal taxes being taken out of his retirement pay and only claim married 0. We normally get a decent sized refund, but this year we can’t seem to figure out why it dropped drastically. Any help would be appreciated.

    I worked part time all year, he worked part time all year + retirement check and partial unemployment benefits.

  4. google adsense revenueFebruary 9, 2015 at 10:23 am

    It is undoubtedly a keyword tool that take your business to a higher level.
    If you desire your article to get on page certainly one
    of 16,500,000, “make money online” isn’t best keyword
    to use. What are the benefits of a properly structured PPC account.

    (Video) Tax resources for military members, veterans and their families

  5. RichardFebruary 9, 2015 at 9:08 am

    Haven’t received your Form W-2 yet? The IRS can help. It’s tax time and you need your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, to file an accurate federal tax return. If your employer hasn’t sent you the form yet, contact them and ask for a copy. Make sure they have your correct address.

    If the form hasn’t arrived by Feb. 23, contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040.

    Let them know:
    -your name, address, Social Security number and phone number,
    -your employer’s name, address and phone number,
    -the dates you worked for the employer and
    -an estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2014. (You can use your final pay stub for these amounts.)

    Still no Form W-2? You have two choices.
    1. File your return by April 15 and use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Try to estimate your wages and withholding as best you can.
    2. Ask for more time to file by using Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S Individual Income Tax Return. You can even e-file the request.

    But, if it turns out the information on the Form W-2 is different than you reported, you might need to file an amended tax return. Just use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to make the change.

    You can visit to view, download or print the tax forms you need right away.

  6. figueroa j.jFebruary 8, 2015 at 5:27 pm

    Do I have to file taxes if I just recive the va compensation since I don’t work and how I file them in the puerto rico area thanks greatly apreciate your reply thanks for the help in advace

  7. DVXFebruary 8, 2015 at 4:38 pm

    I got a T&P rating in 2014. According to the IRS website “Disabled veterans may be eligible to claim a federal tax refund based on: an increase in the veteran’s percentage of disability from the Department of Veteran Affairs (which may include a retroactive determination)……to do so, the disabled veteran will need to file the amended return, Form 1040x…”

    The 1040x form does not give me the option to include my retroactive award. Since it is not reportable I just insert zeroes and give them my award letter and retroactive award proof?

    I do not understand how I would get a refund since I was never actually taxed on my VA disability pay. Here is the link

    Any advice on how to handle this would be appreciated. Thank you for helping veterans with their tax issues.

  8. TinaFebruary 8, 2015 at 1:41 pm

    My husband is disabled and finally got his non service connected disability in understand it is taxable but we have never received any kind of a statement from VA for it. I thought we had to have those by the last of January. I am not sure who to even call and ask about this but I would like to getourtaxes done and off my mind.

  9. PaulFebruary 8, 2015 at 1:27 pm

    I am 83 and collect social security and a small retirement check and my wife is 52 and works full time. Do we still have to file joint return or can she file alone and me not file because I don’t work?

    • RichardFebruary 9, 2015 at 9:02 am

      You can file Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate. You may want to see which is more advantageous to your situation.

  10. SharonFebruary 5, 2015 at 10:30 am

    My husband passed away in 2014. He was a retired disabled vet. I received no insurance benefit. The only income was nontaxable BUT I’m currently at the poverty level, with a child and have lots of dental bills, charitable donations (from before he passed), funeral bill and probably qualify for EIC. Should I file a return even though I’m not required? I cannot afford to see an accountant. Thank you for any help.

    • RichardFebruary 6, 2015 at 8:42 am

      To qualify for the Earned Income Credit, you must have earned income, which means earnings from an employer or self-employment income. If you are not sure if you have to file, you can call the MyFreeTaxes helpline at 1-855-698-9435.

  11. Mary PrierFebruary 5, 2015 at 9:27 am

    I am trying to find out if the VA Funding Fee I paid last year to refinance my house is tax deductible. I believe I meet all of the various requirements but I need to know if it matters whether or not I financed the funding fee in with the mortgage. It was quite a large amount. I cannot find this in writing anywhere. How can I find out?

  12. damierFebruary 3, 2015 at 8:13 pm

    I recently got discharge from the army and still haven’t received my w-2 how do I received it

    • RichardFebruary 4, 2015 at 10:52 am

      Please see the comment I made above. W-2s are required to be sent by January 31 and you may have to call personnel.

  13. ChrisFebruary 1, 2015 at 12:32 am

    I got out of the millitary in Feb 2014. How do I get my W-2? I thought it would be mailed to me but it has not. I no longer have access to mypay.

    • RichardFebruary 4, 2015 at 10:51 am

      W-2s are required to be sent to you by January 31. You may have to call personnel to find out why you haven’t received your W-2.

  14. ErikaJanuary 31, 2015 at 1:09 pm

    I accidently came across your blog post searching for Veterans benefits. Great information! I wish I would have known about this last year my dad is a veteran and 83 years old. H&R block charged him $550 dollars to complete his taxes last year!

    (Video) American Terror: The Military’s Problem With Extremism in the Ranks
  15. DannyJanuary 30, 2015 at 11:49 pm

    I receive VA disability & SSA, but am undergoing “debt repair”. When my atty settles a debt any charge offs could generate a 1099; is this considered income? FYI: Debt repair attys make it sound great, but it is a big headache. Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for help filing under these circumstances.

    • RichardFebruary 4, 2015 at 10:49 am

      You may want to contact and they work closely with the VAs Veteran Justice Outreach program. I am not sure if they can help you with your income taxes but they may know someone that can.

      • DannyFebruary 4, 2015 at 11:44 pm

        Thank You, Richard. The debt repair attys have a program that can help & it even makes my monthly pmt to them a little less. I guess they figure I will need their help for a while longer. THANKS

  16. RichardJanuary 30, 2015 at 10:01 am

    Do not include disability benefits you receive from the Department of Veterans Affairs in your gross income. Do not include in your income any veterans’ benefits paid under any law, regulation, or administrative practice administered by the VA such Education, training, and subsistence allowances.

    Are his disability payments from the VA?

  17. LaceyJanuary 29, 2015 at 4:04 pm

    My fiance recently went from 80% to 100% disabled. He does not work but was attending school until 2014. He previously had the GI Bill plus his disability pay but now lives on his disability pay only. He has not filed taxes since he was medically discharged. Since his pay is tax free and not income does he have to file a tax return? We have different views on this.

  18. Karen ColonJanuary 29, 2015 at 10:27 am

    Can someone tell me if the W-2/1099’s have been mailed?

    • RichardJanuary 29, 2015 at 11:49 am

      Employers are required to provide W-2s and 1099’s by January 31. If you do not receive your W-2 or 1099 in early February, you should contact your employer or place of business.

  19. JFWJanuary 28, 2015 at 10:12 pm

    Are the income maximums listed a combined (husband and wife) income total or the total for the veteran only? If the combined total is over the maximum as listed, but the veteran’s income is within the limits, can the veteran use one of these and still file jointly? Or will the joint income exceeding the listed maximums exclude the veteran and spouse from using one of these for preparation?

    • RichardJanuary 29, 2015 at 11:43 am

      The income limitations are based on total income for the tax return. The software programs have built-in limitations so if your combined income is greater than what is shown for each program, your tax return cannot be completed for free.

      • JFWJanuary 29, 2015 at 5:45 pm

        Thank you!

  20. Meloniece GaskinJanuary 28, 2015 at 9:30 am

    Good morning,

    I am a disabled veteran and a tax adviser who provides free tax advice to veterans along with tax preparation. I am a certified as a Veteran Owned Business. If anyone would like to reach me with any questions, please email me at I also provide second look at past filed tax returns.

  21. ChrisJanuary 26, 2015 at 10:28 pm

    My Legal state of residency is New York but I am active duty living in Virginia. I am also tax exempt from paying state taxes. My question do I need to still file a state tax return even though I am exempt and not paying state taxes?

    (Video) VA Benefits News – October 2021
    • RichardJanuary 28, 2015 at 4:32 pm

      I only work with federal taxes however if you are tax exempt from paying state taxes, I don’t see why you would have to file a separate state tax return. Are you exempt from filing federal taxes?

  22. zhuntsmanJanuary 26, 2015 at 7:25 pm

    I draw a va pension from my disabled deceased this counted as income?

    • RichardJanuary 28, 2015 at 4:24 pm

      It is probably not taxable. If the pension qualifies for the exclusion for a service-connected disability, do not include in income the part of your pension that you would have received if the pension had been based on a percentage of disability.

  23. BobbiJanuary 26, 2015 at 4:49 pm

    My husband was medically retired last year. I went to his my pay and there is no W-2 How do we get one ? He was on active duty until NOV 2014.

    • RobJanuary 27, 2015 at 5:56 pm

      Bobbi –

      If you’re logging in as him, they are there. If you’re authorized use, with your own credentials, my guess is you do not have access to the tax statements.

  24. DamonWVJanuary 26, 2015 at 3:23 pm

    I have a rental property that I rent out to people. Are any of those free programs to vets above able to figure my taxes , seeing how they will be a little but more complicated with deductions, depreciation.. Mortgage, taxes, insurance etc.

    • RichardJanuary 26, 2015 at 4:05 pm

      Probably not because most volunteers are not trained to complete those returns.

  25. TaylorJanuary 26, 2015 at 12:44 pm

    I was medically separated (combat injury), do I need any paperwork for the disability pay and separation pay (tax free/ St Clair act) to file my taxes?

    • andreJanuary 26, 2015 at 2:02 pm


      I can tell you the VA Disability pay is tax free and not earned income. Any penison pay must be claimed, but not as wages, salary,tips, only as pension. Any social security
      benefits or claimed if you meet a certain annual pay. The separation pay may have to be claimed as earned income. Hope this heps!

      • TaylorJanuary 26, 2015 at 3:53 pm


        Thanks, what forms and from who do I get the statements? I have yet to receive anything regarding my disability payments or my separation pay. The separation pay is not on the separated W-2. I called DFAS with no luck.

  26. Mike JarrettJanuary 24, 2015 at 2:06 am

    I already know I am not required to file federal taxes. I am needing to know where I can get the income limits to determine if I am required to file Indiana taxes. Can anyone help me ?

  27. Nick D.January 23, 2015 at 12:40 pm

    Do you people not have spell check? Your grammar skills are horrendous and offensive. And guess what? This stupid comment box has a built-in spell check because I spelled something wrong! How did you pass the ASVAB?

    • Mark S.January 23, 2015 at 1:36 pm

      Nick, sometimes the older folks have trouble using keyboards and smart phones. Though it annoys me when a fully able-bodied person such as you or I make blatant grammar mistakes on open forums, I try and give some slack to those who I feel have deserved it. My advice, lighten up, take a deep breath and everything will be all right.

      • Marshall R Perry - USMCFebruary 8, 2015 at 4:04 pm

        Thank you!

    • Dan FJanuary 24, 2015 at 3:55 pm

      Nick, this is a site for vets, not people who want to prove how smart they are.

    • KimJanuary 26, 2015 at 2:48 am

      Nicky D!!!

      If this is so offensive to you I suggest that you remove yourself off of this site!!!
      You can rest asure that no one will miss you. If you have that much time to nit pick to see if things are spelled right or not u need a new profession..

      • DannyJanuary 26, 2015 at 7:34 pm

        Have a nice day Nick!

  28. Timothy RayburnJanuary 22, 2015 at 7:10 pm

    i am staying in the Philippines and want to know how i can fill my Tax’s i am a disable Vet. and only live on my V.A. Check each month, no other income. can you give me a web sight that can do my tax’s for me please. i need to do it really, has not been done in the fast few years and it cost to much for me to do and do not understand how to do it from oversea. Please help me with this matter.

  29. LissaJanuary 22, 2015 at 5:00 pm

    Hi. I am Retirement Army and Disable but my 2 children: school (13 yrs.) and 3 yrs. daycare. 2013 HR & Block, no daycare/no refund. Why?

    • KayJanuary 23, 2015 at 11:11 am

      I’m not sure. It maybe because you do not have any “earned income” which allows you to receive the earned income credit. Don’t pay to have your taxes done but you these free services.

Comments are closed.

More Stories

  • Commissary shopping privileges for Veterans

    Defense commissary shopping is available to eligible Veterans, including those with service-connected disabilities.

  • Helping Veterans cross the digital divide with improved access to health care

    Seeing a doctor can be a challenge for people living in rural communities. That’s why VA is making it easier than ever for Veterans to access health care.

  • Help ease patient pain during Sickle Cell Awareness Month

    During Sickle Cell Awareness Month in September, the American Red Cross emphasizes the importance of a diverse blood supply to help meet the needs of those with sickle cell disease – the most common inherited blood disorder in the U.S.

    (Video) Veterans Benefits at 70% Disability | VA Service-Connected Disability | theSITREP


Is H and R Block free for veterans? ›

Use the H&R Block Free Edition 2022

While H&R Block doesn't advertise a free “military” version, many members of the U.S. Military qualify for the H&R Block Free Edition. However, there are a few qualifications such as a maximum income. To see if you qualify, click below.

Can retired military file taxes for free? ›

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program. Military members, including retirees, are eligible to receive free tax consultation and preparation at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance locations. Take command of your taxes.

Do 100 percent disabled veterans pay federal taxes? ›

Military retirement pay based on age or length of service is considered taxable income for Federal income taxes, and most state income taxes. However, military disability retirement pay and veterans' benefits, including service-connected disability pension payments, are almost always fully excluded from taxable income.

What tax site is free for military? ›

Miltax is another free tax resource available for the military community, offered through the Department of Defense. MilTax is a suite of tax services available for members of the military, as well as qualifying veterans and family members. There are no income limits.

What things are free for veterans? ›

Tons of brands, attractions, and services offer military-specific freebies that you can take advantage of whenever you want.
  • GreenCare for Troops (Project Evergreen) ...
  • LEGOLAND Florida Resort and Water Park. ...
  • Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) ...
  • UFC Gyms. ...
  • The Washington Post. ...
  • World of Coca-Cola.

What can veterans do for free? ›

5 Brands Offering Free Stuff for Veterans
  • National Park Service. ...
  • Blue Star Theatres. ...
  • Beachbody. ...
  • VeteranRX. ...
  • Veterans Day Meals. ...
  • Seaworld Parks and Entertainment. ...
  • Baseball Hall of Fame. ...
  • 9/11 Memorial & Museum.

Do veterans get TurboTax for free? ›

Enlisted active duty and reserve military can enjoy TurboTax Online for free. In honor of our nation's military personnel, all enlisted active duty and reserve military can file free federal and state taxes with TurboTax Online using the TurboTax Military Discount.

Is Freetaxusa free for military? ›

Free Federal Filing for Everyone.

Is TurboTax free 2022 for military? ›

Enlisted active duty and reserve military can use TurboTax Online for free.

What tax breaks do veterans get? ›

A veteran with at least a 10% service-related disability may get a $5,000 property tax exemption. Meanwhile, a 100% service-related disabled veteran may get a full property tax exemption.

Do you get extra money from Social Security for being a veteran? ›

Since 1957, if you had military service earnings for active duty (including active duty for training), you may have extra Social Security wage credits added to your earnings record.

Is Social Security taxable for disabled veterans? ›

Up to 85 percent of your SSD benefits may be taxable if half of your benefits, when combined with all of your other income, exceed the following income thresholds based on your tax filing status: $25,000 if you are single, a head of household, or a qualifying widow or widower.

What level of TurboTax is free for military? ›

Free TurboTax for Enlisted Military

TurboTax federal and state tax filing is free for US enlisted active duty military and reservists. Military members can file through any TurboTax Online (not CD/desktop or TurboTax Live) product, including TurboTax Free Edition, Deluxe, Premier, and Self-Employed.

Does H&R Block offer military discount? ›

The discount at Exchange H&R Block locations is available to all authorized Exchange shoppers, including honorably discharged veterans and DoD and Coast Guard civilians. Veterans with service-connected disabilities can take advantage of the online discount. Click here to learn more. Click here to find a location.

How do I get my military free from H&R Block? ›

To access this free service start a tax return from the Military OneSource website. After logging on, the website redirects to a page containing additional information on tax preparation and a link to the Military OneSource free H&R Block at Home service. Why file online with this program? It is fast, secure and free.

What does Virginia offer for veterans? ›

The Virginia Department of Veterans Services (DVS) veterans care centers provide affordable, long-term skilled nursing care, Alzheimer's/memory care, and short-term rehabilitative care for Virginia's veterans.

Is PTSD rating permanent? ›

The veteran's total disability due to PTSD is permanent with no likelihood of improvement. The 100 percent rating for PTSD is total, permanent, and static in nature.

Do veterans get free checked bags? ›

Free services offered for spouses or dependents of U.S. active duty or reserve military, National Guard and retired military veterans: Up to three (3) pieces of checked baggage free. Each bag must weigh under 40 lbs. No charge for oversized checked baggage.

Who qualifies as a Gold Star family member? ›

Initiated during World War I, the title Gold Star distinguishes a family member who lost a loved one in military service. Today, immediate family members (parent, sibling, spouse, or child) receive a Gold Star from the Department of Defense, to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Does Walmart give discounts to Veterans? ›

Conclusion. Walmart does not offer a military discount in any form. However, they donate millions of dollars every year to programs that support veterans and military families, including their own Find A Future program.

What does the government provide for Veterans? ›

Health Care - The Military Health System provides care for members, retirees, and dependents. Housing - As a member or veteran, you can apply for home loans and grants from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Education - You may qualify for education benefits through military and veterans programs.

Do you get a tax credit for being a veteran? ›

Many Veterans are eligible for various tax credits including the Earned Income Tax Credit, a refundable federal income tax credit for low- to moderate-income workers and their families.

Is FreeTaxUSA free for everyone? ›

While "free" is in the name, FreeTaxUSA might still cost you money. The company does offer free federal tax filing, but all filers pay $14.99 to file their state returns. The company also offers upgrades such as audit support ($6.99) and assistance from a professional ($24.99).

Why is FreeTaxUSA not free? ›

FreeTaxUSA offers two online filing options: Free and Deluxe. Both options have free federal filing, but state returns cost extra. So while it's not completely free, it's still one of the most affordable services on the market. Regardless of whether your taxes are simple or advanced, the price remains the same.

Who qualifies for FreeTaxUSA? ›

For anyone with an AGI under $41,000.

How do I get TurboTax 2022 for free? ›

If your adjusted gross income is $73,000 or less, you're eligible for free guided tax prep from options like Tax Slayer, and TaxAct. If your income exceeds that, you qualify for free fillable forms (but you'll have to actually file them on your own).

Who qualifies for TurboTax free edition? ›

If you have a simple tax return, you can file with TurboTax Free Edition, TurboTax Live Basic, or TurboTax Live Full Service Basic. A simple tax return is one that's filed using IRS Form 1040 only, without having to attach any forms or schedules.

Is TurboTax No Longer Free 2022? ›

Or, if you are looking for a TurboTax product, you may choose to see what products are available. Since Intuit has exited the IRS Free File program, we no longer offer IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, formerly known as TurboTax Free File Program and TurboTax Freedom Edition.

Does VA disability count against Social Security? ›

SSDI and VA disability compensations are not affected by each other, so you may be eligible to receive both.

Can the VA take away 100 permanent and total disability? ›

Can the VA reduce a Permanent and Total rating? No, the VA cannot reduce a Permanent and Total VA rating unless the original disability rating was based on fraud. The major benefit of being deemed both “Permanent and Total” or 100% P&T is that your VA rating is protected from a future rating reduction.

What states have no property tax for disabled veterans? ›

Resident disabled veterans are exempt from property taxes in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia.

How do I get the $16728 Social Security bonus? ›

How to get the $16,728 bonus in retirement?
  1. Work as long as you can: the later you retire the higher your benefit will be. Remember that 70 is the maximum age. ...
  2. Years worked: If you work less than 35 years you will have a reduction in your SSA check. ...
  3. High salary: with a high salary you will have a high retirement.
14 Sept 2022

What is the Social Security 5 year rule? ›

You must have worked and paid Social Security taxes in five of the last 10 years. If you also get a pension from a job where you didn't pay Social Security taxes (e.g., a civil service or teacher's pension), your Social Security benefit might be reduced.

How much does the widow of a 100% disabled veteran receive? ›

If you're the surviving spouse of a Veteran, your monthly rate would start at $1,437.66. Then for each additional benefit you qualify for, you would add the amounts from the Added amounts table.

Do disabled veterans have to file a tax return? ›

Basic Exemption: There is no annual filing requirement for the basic Disabled Veterans' Exemption.

Does VA disability stop at age 67? ›

Even after veterans reach full retirement age, VA's disability payments continue at the same level. By contrast, the income that people receive after they retire (from Social Security or private pensions) usually is less than their earnings from wages and salary before retirement.

Does VA disability count as income? ›

Disability benefits you receive from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) aren't taxable. You don't need to include them as income on your tax return. Tax-free disability benefits include: disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid either to veterans or their families.

Is H&R Block Plus free for military? ›

Use the H&R Block Free Edition 2022

While H&R Block doesn't advertise a free “military” version, many members of the U.S. Military qualify for the H&R Block Free Edition. However, there are a few qualifications such as a maximum income. To see if you qualify, click below.

How does tax free military pay work? ›

Combat pay tax exclusion

Although any base pay earned by a member of the armed services while serving in a combat zone is excluded from federal income tax, it is still subject to Social Security tax and Medicare tax. For enlisted service members, the amount of the exclusion from federal income tax is unlimited.

Do military get discounts at Target? ›

Target Circle™ is a rewards program that's full of benefits for you and is free to join. Access deals, savings & lots more when you shop in-store or online. *Exclusions for 10% off military offer: Category Coupon. Valid for two uses in stores or online.

Does Costco accept military discounts? ›

While Costco doesn't offer free or discounted memberships, we do provide an exclusive military offer to join Costco as a new member and receive a $20 Costco Shop Card! To qualify for this new membership offer, visit here, scroll down, and click the link for "Military Membership Promotion" near the bottom of the page.

Does Walgreen give military discount? ›

Walgreens does not offer a daily military discount but may offer special promotions around patriotic holidays, including its 20% off discount event for Veterans Day 2022.

Is H&R Block no longer free? ›

Is H&R Block really free? It indicates an expandable section or menu, or sometimes previous / next navigation options. Yes, the service is free for both federal and state if you are filing a simple tax return. It covers unemployment income, retirement income, W-2 income, and interest and dividend income.

Does H&R Block have a military discount? ›

H&R Block meets both of those qualifications and offers a $25 discount for The Military Wallet readers. H&R Block provides quality tax services and a smooth and transparent process. You'll always know how much your tax return will cost before you start your return.

Does H & R Block offer military discount? ›

H&R Block does not offer a military discount in store or on their website. However, you can still access their software for free through Military OneSource. Military OneSource offers free filing for members of the United States military, and this filing is done through H&R Block.

Do veterans pay to file taxes? ›

The IRS and US Department of Veterans Affairs entered into a Memorandum of Understanding in 2015. The primary focus of the MOU is to provide free tax preparation services to Veterans and their families. Partnering organizations prepare tax returns free of charge for low- to moderate-income taxpayers.

Is retired military free TurboTax? ›

Who is eligible for the Free Military Discount? Enlisted (E-1 through E-9) active duty and reserve personnel are eligible for the Military Discount. Commissioned officers, warrant officers, veterans, retirees and National Guard do not qualify for free TurboTax Online discount at this time.

Is MilTax really free? ›

There are no hidden surprises, and calculations are guaranteed to be 100% accurate. MilTax e-filing software allows you to tackle your taxes anytime, anywhere — all for free.

Does Walmart Gives military discount? ›

Conclusion. Walmart does not offer a military discount in any form. However, they donate millions of dollars every year to programs that support veterans and military families, including their own Find A Future program.

Does Kohl's department store offer military discount? ›

If you're a Kohl's lover, you're probably already a fan of its Kohl's Cash system, coupons and "military Mondays" Kohl's military discount program, in which it gives military members, veterans and their families 15% off every Monday.

Does CVS offer a military discount? ›

Save 20% every time you shop online at You'll also receive FREE shipping on your online orders. You're eligible to receive Veterans Advantage discounts if you've served in any branch of service or during any period of service, both wartime and peacetime.

How much is military discount at Walgreens? ›

Almost anything that doesn't fall into the Walgreens brand category and that is being sold at full price can be purchased for 20% off. Step 3: Show proof of your military service, such as a military ID, to the cashier at checkout. They will automatically apply your savings to your final bill. What is this?

Does Costco provide military discounts? ›

Costco provides an exclusive military offer to join as a new member and receive a $20 Costco Shop Card. Visit the Costco website for more details. provides discount information as a service to our members.

Do veterans pay taxes on Social Security? ›

Generally, there is no reduction of Social Security benefits because of your military retirement benefits. You'll get your Social Security benefit based on your earnings and the age you choose to start receiving benefits. While you're in military service, you pay Social Security taxes, just as civilian employees do.


1. Tax Information & Resources for Veterans, Military Families, & Business Owners -- Taxes 2021
(Wisconsin Veterans Chamber of Commerce)
2. Veterans Benefits at 30% Disability | VA Service-Connected Disability | theSITREP
(U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs)
3. CORRECTION | Can Veterans Work While Receiving VA Disability? | VA Service-Connection | theSITREP
(U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs)
4. PTSD Family Coach App, SVA Census Survey, and VA SmokeFreeVET | VA News
(Veterans Health Administration)
5. VA Disability & Social Security Disability Insurance | VA & SSDI | Social Security | theSITREP
(U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs)
6. FCPS School Board Meeting - 11/3/22
(Fairfax County Public Schools)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Maia Crooks Jr

Last Updated: 07/05/2023

Views: 6315

Rating: 4.2 / 5 (43 voted)

Reviews: 90% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Maia Crooks Jr

Birthday: 1997-09-21

Address: 93119 Joseph Street, Peggyfurt, NC 11582

Phone: +2983088926881

Job: Principal Design Liaison

Hobby: Web surfing, Skiing, role-playing games, Sketching, Polo, Sewing, Genealogy

Introduction: My name is Maia Crooks Jr, I am a homely, joyous, shiny, successful, hilarious, thoughtful, joyous person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.